Thursday, June 14, 2012

Happy Thursday - Almost Friday

I got some rain!!! Did you see me jumping for joy? I did. It rained for 3 days and I guess I received about 5-6" of rain. The grass is greener and the flowers are happier. But you know what that means - WEEDS - again. I'll take the weeds over seeing the plants struggling any day.

Love the cannas. The plants get so big and the blooms are even bigger (or so it seems).


I am loving the Sun Cherry Zinnias. So far the plants are not too tall either - maybe 24-30" which is just right in my opinion.

I believe the seeds for this zinnia came from Lona. It would be Zinnia Starlight Rose.

This is a problem I have with zinnias every year. They fall over and a gust of wind comes up and over they go. I guess I could put the tomato baskets in the garden but I hate the wire cages in a flower garden. What do you do when yours fall over?

The tomato plants are loaded. Notice the extra amount of foliage on the tomato plants. The person who planted them decided that they needed a lot of tomato fertilizer. An entire bag, 1.5#, of tomato fertilizer was applied over 5 weeks. I actually thought they would die but it caused the stalks on the plants to be enormous.

Wind damage.

The cages are leaning now. Oh well we have more tomatos than will be eat at my house.

 On Saturday and Sunday it rained all day so I cooked up some good pasta salad and soup.
I added some cheese cubes to the salad and it was very good.

Cheeseburger Soup is so good. This is the first time I've made it and it won't be the last. I loved it.

Here is where I found the recipe.


I used a little white pepper jack velveeta on the top for garnish and pickle relish and bacon. I did not cook the Weight Watchers version. I'm looking forward to this again.

Hope a nice weekend.

15 comments:

Diane said...

The soup sounds good to me. We are jumping for joy as we had some sun today - we are sick of rain at the moment, yes and the weeds that come with it!! Keep well Diane

blushing rose said...

Becca, your floers are gorgeous & that soup looks so inviting.
Have a great day, my friend ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Olive said...

I have cannas just like yours and keep giving them away as they really get big fast. We got lots of rain and flash floods but we needed it.

Sunray Gardens said...

Your blooms are lovely. I am so envious of your rain. My new post is about watering. :) I even spent more time today out there watering. It's horrible here. Your food choices look good though.

Cher Sunray Gardens

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Becca, Glad you got some rain --but sorry about the wind and damage. We didn't get much rain at all out of that system. We NEED rain.

You can buy green stakes at Lowe's... Get some velcro --and you can stake up your flowers/plants. The green stakes don't detract from the flowers/plants.

Beautiful cannas... Love them..
Hugs,
Betsy

Connie said...

Your flowers are beautiful, Becca. I love the cannas. Your pasta salad and soup look really good! Thank you for the recipes. Have a good weekend!

Victoria Williams said...

So happy to hear you finally got some rain! Your plants are looking great.

Unknown said...

I let my zinnias stay fallen over then they bend and reach for the sun..it's cool looking to me. Good grief at the maters girl! Yummy recipes too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like the shorter Zinnias..the Series Dreamland was really good and sturdy and about 14 inches tall and a real bloomer. You could uses stakes..my goodness those are some big tomato plants:)

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

That's a nice amount of rain. We're getting some this week too. Rain makes such a difference in the garden. Everything looked better today when I went out to check on the plants.
I have the same problem with zinnias. I found planting them thicker helps some.
Hope your tomatoes do ok after that wind. You need some heavy duty cages. I went to square ones of thicker gauge and have had good luck.

imac said...

From garden to table - a delightful post

Now posting Scottish Isles holiday.

Sunny said...

A friend gave us some cannas 2-3 years ago and bless their hearts, they have struggled every year. Maybe the cooler weather we have had so far this year will carry over this sumer and they will do better.

When any of our flowers fall over, they stay over. We had some Glads and finally got rid of them. I don't like those metal stakes lots of people use for them. If it's a flower that doesn't usually fall over, but was caught in a high wind, then we might stake it with a wooden stake.

Susan said...

Good food, beautiful flowers, a lot of tomatos and rain, what could be better?

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Becca, Almost a month since we have heard from you..I hope you are okay:)

Unknown said...

Hello Becca, It was so nice to hear from you...I closed down a while ago to get some much needed down time. I'm back now... As always your flowers are very pretty...you have such green thumbs! Love love your garden! Have a lovely Friday!
Hugs, Loretta

Powered By Blogger