Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bougainvillea

The Bougainvillea is a hardy and versatile plant. It can grow on a wall or a trellis or it can be pruned to be a more compact patio or garden plant. Particular pruning can even shape the Bougainvillea like you would for a bonsai. Bougainvillea is a tropical plant and is best when the night temps are at least 65 and up and the days up into the 90's. They are frost sensitive and does best in zones 9 and 10 but that's not to say they don't do well in other places. If taken care of during the cold winters they should do fine. They can be planted in the ground but is recommended that if you live in zones colder than zone 9 and 10 that they be dug up and brought in during the winter or preferably a pot grown plant. In the cooler zones if planted in the ground they could be used as an annual. They usually do not bloom indoors.  They thrive in the sun and even like the soil a little dry. They also like to be a little root bound. Bougainvillea is a thorny plant too and has heart shaped leaves. It is a proficient bloomer if the right conditions are met. It is at it's peak when the nights and days are mostly equal which is in the spring and the fall. Bougainvillea will bloom at least as much or even more in the winter than it does in the spring. Standard fertilizer is not recommended - instead the formula should be 6-8-10. This puts nitrogen levels where there will be green but  not a lot and the energy goes into making flowers and keeping the plant more compact.


I hope this helps you if you purchse a Bougainvillea for your gardens.

18 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love Bougainvuillea, Becca, but we can't grow them well up here... Tropical stuff just doesn't work for us. SO--I just need to enjoy seeing yours. It is GORGEOUS.... Thanks for sharing the info.
Hugs,
Betsy

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Wow that is beautiful... someday, someday !
Girl I've missed you and don't know how it happened.
(())

Southhamsdarling said...

I don't think it would work over here either, but I absolutely love this plant. Always reminds me of holidays in warmer climes!

imac said...

What a beauty, love it.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That is a real beauty Becca. I have one reddish purple, one peachy, and one white. Love them all. You are going to enjoy having this in your gardens.

Where are you going to plant it?

Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Just found you from Marydon's site. I so love her so I thought I would check out her friends.
I am now one of your new followers and I am looking forward to getting to know you.
This plant is hardy and pretty so why I don't have it in my yard is beyond me. I should add it to my to do list for the yard
Take care
Maggie

Connie said...

It's so pretty, Becca! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love Bougainvuillea, this colour is especially pretty. The dark pink is a favourite too.

Cheers,
Lisa x

Kathy said...

I'm in. We were at Lowes Sunday evening and there were some hanging and in pots in the deepest pink. They were very striking. I love the soft colors of the one you've shown. Thanks for sharing how to take care of them,
Kathy

Rosemary said...

Becca so Beautiful ! Snow and freezing rain here today....

Lona said...

Becca girl I am so in love with that Bougainvillea of yours. Just gorgeous. I wish I could grow them here in the frozen north outdoors.

Unknown said...

How I love the south for this awesome plant ... & the tropics, Becca.

Thank you for your sweet notes & support. This means a lot to me.

TTFN ~
Have a beautiful day ~
Hugs, Marydon

Simply Debbie said...

Hi Becca,
Your bougainvillea is stunning...We can grow them here in my part of Oklahoma only in pots so they can be taken in before the frost but in partial shade all day. My mother and I have both had one but they died being wintered. It is amazing that something so beautiful can have such painful thorns...they are not little ones for sure.
Thank you for dropping by and giving respect to Staff Sgt. Travis Tompkins and his family.
Have A Sugar Sweet Day Becca
hugs
Simply Debbie

Anonymous said...

We had quite a bit of bougainvillea when we lived in the Southwest... it LOVED the hot summer 100 plus degrees days. Was no fun trimming it though... very prickly stuff.

Di

Donald's Garden said...

Bougainvillia is one plant that I know will survive the winter in my house. It even blooms most of the winter. I want to add at least 3 more this year. I'm dying to get my hands on the one in your photograph. I've seen it around, but never for sale!

Jeannie B. said...

This is beautiful!!

Darla said...

Mine is in the ground and returns every year, but does not color up---it gets too much water. No water stresses it to make the bracts color...

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Becca: What a great set of flowers you are growing. I love the header, it is just beautiful.

Powered By Blogger