Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The heat has set in here in the south...

I always dread the sweltering heat in the summer months. Most days the humidity is terrible and leaves you soaking wet just walking into the outdoors and back in. Today humidity is 100% with sun and a few clouds and the temp is mid 90's. Needless to say I don't do much in the gardens this time of year. The gardens are so full of weeds too. They will wait till a cool evening after rain.
 
The roses don't mind the heat. Chicago Peace is gorgeous.



Chrysler Imperial is a true red.

 
 
Excuse me blogger gets on my nerves so bad.

 
Okra Hibiscus that came back from seeds that dropped last year. Love these flowers but they only last a day.
 
Excuse me while I scream at blogger.
 
Dinner plate dahlia at mom's.


Monarda from Garden Harvest Supply.

Gladiola that I picked up off the ground.

One of the best performers I have found is the Dahlia Figaro. They don't mind the heat and dry conditions and don't mind wet feet either. They just bloom all summer long.

Dahlia Figaro

forgot the name of this pretty gem.


Snapdragon that returned from last year.

Another great performer is the coneflower. They don't mind the heat, dry or wet. They are just happy flowers and the bees love them.

A surprise sunflower. In the early spring the bird feeder dropped emptying the seeds into the garden. The result a few sunflowers.

The hydrangea's don't like the dry weather. This is the endless summer.

I purchased this one from Springhill Nursery and I love the pretty pink.

Mandevilla.

Oh the Beatles. My grandson is a big fan and look what I found.

Do you remember these. Great big cabinet to house the speakers and stereo. Now that was some good music back in the day when we gathered around with our friends to play some Monkees or Beatles and dance.


 
Hope you have a nice rest of the week and weekend.
 

8 comments:

Connie said...

Wow, you have lots of beautiful flowers growing there, Becca. Your gardens must be doing very well. I liked your pretty sky photos too. Have a great week!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Becca, I truly love your garden posts. What's happened with Blogger? My reading list was down for days....there was a blogger article there, and I was so frustrated because I like my reading list!

xo,
RJ

Nicole @ Sweet Tea Proper said...

You have quite the array of flowers! I especially love the dahlia, just beautiful. The summer heat keeps my fingers constantly crossed for rain! Maybe, just maybe it will cool it off a bit!

Nicole
http://sweetteaproper.com

Rhodesia said...

Your roses are beautiful and yes I agree I also want to scream at blogger!! I will be back blogging properly soon I just have too many photos to sort through and so much to do in the garden!! Take care Diane

Erin Kaine said...

I love your Chicago Peace and snap dragons. Very pretty despite the heat.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Such great blooms! Hot here too.

Lona said...

Looks like your flowers is loving the heat so far Becca. That is such a pretty gladiola.
I get upset with blogger too so I downloaded Windows Writer a while back and it is so much better to get a posting up now. Although I have been a lazy blogger lately. Stay cool.

imac said...

Flower power with days gone by also sky, great post

Powered By Blogger