Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This and That

It's thrilling this time of year to see something pop out of the dirt even if it is a controlled environment. As you can see they are coming up real good - germinated in 7 days. Again as you can see I stumped my toe when it came to dropping the seeds in the tiny holes. The seeds are so small you can't just drop 1 or 2 seeds.



I was reading last night about seed starting - and the article stated that when the seeds are so small - use a pencil eraser slightly moistened to place the seed.



The containers are in a south window and receive a good bit of direct sun but not really adequate since they require 8-10 hrs. Well I can't get that much. One way to enhance the amount of light they do receive by wrapping one side of a piece of cardboard with aluminum foil and place on the inside of the seedlings so that the light will reflect off of the foil. This is on my task of things this afternoon.



They need to be thinned badly. I was thinking I should do this ASAP to allow the better seedlings to grow efficiently.



This is the Lettuce Gourmet Mix and the other one is Broccoli Waltham.





I don't have but a couple of house plants. I use open gas heater - you know the kind, the old timey ones you light with a match - and this affects the growth and healthiness of the plant. So I grow all of my stuff inside my bedroom windows. Let's see - how many plants/seeds I can get in front of the twowindows? I don't know but I've got to move the bed and get some cheap shelving units to place in the windows.


I have to keep an aloe plant around. This is truly a miracle plant and has so many uses. Try rubbing all over your hands and wait 3 minutes and then wash them. Use it on cuts, abrasions, insect bites, mosquito bites and the most popular use is for burns. Anytime I burn my hands or arm in the kitchen quickly apply the plant juices and there is no blistering and relieves the pain. I haven't tried it on arthritis but I think I'll try that and see how good it works. This flower pot is one that Ben, my grandchild made for me 5-6 years ago. I love my little pot.



I bought me 50 daffodils - I know it's late and they may or may not make it but they only cost $5. so I have to try.
I put Buddy on the chain and went to get my gloves and digger and came back to find this. My white dog was black. There was a container that froze in the corner and sat in the rich black dirt and just like a kid he had to get down and dirty in the mud. Do you think he was trying to make mud pies. Anyhow - back the utility room went the gloves and out came the dog shampoo. I can't stand for Buddy to be dirty so I wasted no time in cleaning him up. (Can't believe how dismal this color photo appears - of course the grass is dead).

And now he looks much better. Aaahhh a white dog.

I am still in my garden books and notebook in hand planning my spring flair. I am having a good time putting my plans on paper and logging a timeline for completion of my projects.
Gardening is the best therapy. I can get out and begin digging and sometimes I feel like a kid or I am reminiscing(sp?) about when I was small playing in the mud. While I am gardening I hear the birds singing a peaceful tune and I know all is well. When I feel down - if I can muster up the gumption to get outside in my gardens I forget what had me feeling bad.
Hope you find therapy in the yard or gardens this week. If you can't get outside go get you some seeds and some dirt and go to town. It just feels good.

12 comments:

Darla said...

You are so right, gardening releaves so many stresses. Today I am trying my hand at the winter sowing method in milk jugs...we shall see what happens. Congrats on your seedlings...Buddy looks like he had a big time in the mud!

Lona said...

LOL! Poor Buddy. That picture is precious Becky.
I use to have an aloe plant and love it for burns and sunburn.I never knew it was good for bites too.
Who could have passed up that deal on the daffodils.
Your seeds germinated fast. Good job.I tried the eraser once and still couldn't tell whether the seed was off or if it was dirt. LOL. Even with my glasses on by the way. LOL

Chicken Boys said...

LOL Minnie is short haired, so she's an easy clean. But my Max is a kinky haired poodle, hair like Buddy. So he gets a good, stearn talking to before his bath when he gets dirty like that.
~Randy

Debbie's Garden said...

Seeing your seeds coming up makes me want to smell that earthy smell that goes with it. I've never grown broccoli even tho I love it.

Buddy looks a little humble and embarassed in his picture. His new name should be Blackbeard.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a mess Buddy turned into, but look how sweet he looks all cleaned up. They just can't resist a good play in the mud/dirt.

I know exactly what you mean about a garden lifting your spirits.

FlowerLady

tina said...

Gardening feels so good no matter when it is done. I'm thinking even on a cold day-not frigid though like it's been. Your lettuce seeds look great. I need to get some started soon. I love fresh greens. Your little gardening partner looks just like Ellie Mae of Ellie Mae's Garden (Jackie). Cute little partners-even when muddy you just kind of have to smile.

Darla said...

Will you email me? I have a question for you.. rusdarathotmaildotcom let me know it's you in the subject line lol.

Ginger said...

Good job with the seeds!

I've planted daffs in late january and had them bloom the first year, so you should be ok!

Come enter the contest at my blog.

Connie said...

I have always enjoyed planting seeds and watching the progress of what grows. Good luck to you with your seedlings. The muddy Buddy picture is cute. Looks like he is saying, "What?" and trying not to look guilty. HA! He does look better all cleaned up. :)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Buddy is so cute, reminds me of our white dog finding mud to get into :)
You are so right about the garden and how it can put you in a better mood!

Dirt Princess said...

Ohhhhh sprouts! I cannot wait to plant seeds. I ordered a seeder. You put the seeds in it, turn it and they come out 1-3 at a time. I will take pics of it when it comes in.

PJ said...

The pictures of your dog are too funny! I'm sure he's a big, big help.'~)

Powered By Blogger