Monday, October 11, 2010

A Few of My Pretties In October

I fugured out how to delete blogs thanks to all of you. Let me clarify that I am wanting to delete blogs 'I follow' who haven't posted in more than 9 months. I woudn't delete any blogs that follow me. 

Had a beautiful weekend. Still no rain here. It has been the driest Sept and Oct I can remember. There are burn bans and there have been some fires too. Last weekend a home on Dauphin Island caught fire and quickly spread to 4 other houses. Burned down 4 homes and left one standing that will need to be repaired. Luckily no one was injured which is not the case with a home fire this weekend. One person died. We need some rain here bad. There is a 30% chance tomorrow but after that no more chances of rain.

I've been keeping things going in the flower beds with the sprinklers. Everything seems to be coming along nicely in spite of the heat and lack of moisture from above.

I think my mums are going to do nicely. They are beginning to open now.

Begonias have been the best performers this year. They have been in bloom since probably April and are still blooming. They will bloom right on till the frost gets it.

Zinnia volnteers are everywhere. I pulled out the main plants from the spring and they self seeded and are coming up all over the place. 

Usually I don't have much success with the white shiny leaf begonias but they have performed beautifully this year.

Gerbera Daisy's have always been a favorite of mine. Normally they do not do so well in my gardens. These are new ones though so I'm enjoying their beauty.

Love me some snapdragons too.

Marigolds are good performers here.

 Love the color of the snapdragon.


Dianthus is a good performer giving flowers all summer long and into the fall. I put out 12 more Dianthus plants last week.

Pink begonia.

I did get out to a yard sale on Saturday. I could kick myself in the butt for not buying more of these figurines. This lady had a table full and they were all .50 each. No name brands on the bottoms but they are very nice.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this ornament. My daughter sold these when she was in 2nd grade many years ago. I had that ornament till just a few years ago. I lossed/broke it and then I found one just like it. Made my day.  (April do you remember this ornament)
 This was .50 too. They look just like Snowbabies and I couldn't tell the difference. But they had no name on the bottom. Good lookalike.

Loved the Granny holding her little puppy. This is me and Buddy.

I love a good Snowman. This one is well behaved.

I should have taken a photo after I washed these platters. These were a dollar for the pair. Who can go wrong with white platters and there are no scratches or chips either.

I have a thing for night lights and accent lighting. I loved these little mushrooms. I added a blue night light and like the effects. The night light was a dollar. 

Didn't do anything that I had planned this weekend. But oh well.... Spent the weekend by myself cleaning and stuff like that. I love it when I can mark off all of the items off my 'to do list' and I did that.

Have a wonderful and blessed day dear blogger friends.

22 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You have some pretty flowers in spite of your drought conditions Becca. Love your goodies bought at the yard sale too, especially that mushroom night light.

Hope you get some rain sooner than later. We just had a short rain, more may be coming too, but not much. I just did some hand watering this morning, so that must have been like a little rain dance. :-)

Hope your week is a good one.

FlowerLady

Carol said...

Beautiful flowers and lovely treasures from the garage sales. That night light is really cool!!

Daydream Living said...

Hi Becca!
I love to look at your garden, it's so alive and I try to remember the names too (although it's not so easy...). I buy my white platters also mix and match, white on white is always lovely. Thanks for this post, it made me smile and I do hope you will get some rain soon. Night!
Maureen
(oh, and I also love your new header photo)

Diane said...

You had some excellent buys there. I am amazed how much colour I still have in the garden this year and you look as if you have the same. I am going to be very sorry to say good bye to it for 6 months! Diane

imac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb said...

your flowers look great Becca...we are dry here too....looks like you found some cute knick knacks..

imac said...

I reckon the weather has turned topsy turvey over the last few years.
Love these piccies Becca.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Everything looks really good and so fresh. This is the time of year I know I live in zone 5, everything is going in the yard bags not in the ground.

Eileen

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope you get some rain soon! We need some too..fires are starting again..I can't believe how dry it is after a wet summer.
Your plants are looking great! I also liked your platters..good find! :)

Connie said...

You still have quite a few lovely flowers, Becca. Very pretty. I hope you get some rain soon. You got some cute figurines and good deals at the yard sale.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's amazing to think anyone is having a drought after the never ending rain we've had here. You've got quite a bit still blooming too.
You found some great things at the yard sale. I love the snowbabies.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

HI Becca, You still have some gorgeous flowers despite the horrible drought. We are very very dry here also--and we have to water our yard also...

You hit the jackpot at that yard sale. The figurines and ornament are so precious... Love the 'snowbabies' and the Snowman.

Thanks for sharing Becca...
Hugs,
Betsy

Stephanie said...

Hi Becca, it's great to your flowers. I have some of them in my garden now as well. Love the colours of your snapdragons.

Darla said...

You still have wonderful color and have had the best luck with begonias this year. Cute figurines!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Beautiful garden and such lovely flowers. Your figurines are precious!
Stop by and say hello. Linda

shannon i olson said...

everything looks wonderful. I think I can pick my probably last bouquet of the year....the flowers are still blooming and we haven't had a frost yet....unheard of here in ND. Still time is dwindling and I know what is coming.. my begonias did real well too this year.

Unknown said...

G'day Becca ~
What lovely florals still showing ... mine are still ok, but show a bit of the weather. Rain tonight & tomorrow so it will probably not leave much to view when done pelting all my beauties.

I love LOVE your treasures you found. They are wonderful ... & those great platters! You go girl!
Have a great eve ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

April said...

Yes! I do remember that ornament! I don't remember selling them, but I do remember the ornament being on our tree every year. Great find!

tina said...

Holy smokes! You do have a lot of blogs listed so I don't blame you for deleting some; especially the inactive ones. I go through my blog list quite often to do the same thing. It takes so much time though I'm wondering if I shouldn't delete the whole page and not worry about it. But then I see many folks check it. I checked your list and there are a lot of neat blogs there.

I love those figurines. You got quite a deal as they are sweet. Yard saling is so fun! I don't go often but when I do I so enjoy the memories as much as the goodies. Stay cool down there and I hope you got some rain. Not looking good here for us in Middle Tennessee. A very bad thing. Take care!

Tamara Jansen said...

My garden is still in bloom as well! Enjoying the last dying embers of summer :)

Betsy B. said...

I have gotten 6 new huge mums this past week that I now have to plant. It has been dry here so I having been waiting to see if we are going to get any rain soon.

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

beautiful flowers, I am afraid my bunny eats all my pretties....he thinks its party time when I plant something new...

Powered By Blogger