Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dedicated to Raingardener

I'll be joining a few parties today so check out their links at the bottom of this post.

Today I am dedicating my blooms to Linda Karr aka Raingardener of Gardening by Trial and Error. On Friday I learned that Linda had passed away on Wednesday May 18. I was horribly saddened by this news. I have followed Linda since I began blogging. She and I celebrated our blog in the month of Feb more than 2 years ago now. Linda had the prettiest flowers and she loved gardening. While Linda invited us into her gardens she also invited us into her life as many of us do. Linda had only learned of her cancer in April and it quickly spread throughout the rest of her body. It could be any of us. Linda you will be missed by so many. But we know that you must be walking through the most beautiful gardens you could have ever imagined. A garden where the soil is just right and the perfect amount of sun and rainfall. You don't have to drag a sprinkler around anymore. I bet you have the most beautiful golden ornaments of yard art everywhere.

Linda Karr - Raingardener you will be missed.

I received the following information to share: Hello, Linda’s brother posted this poem, and a picture of her, on her face book. I think it’s a beautiful poem to remember her by. Ronda



HER JOURNEY'S JUST BEGUN...

Don't think of her as gone away,--Her journey has just begun.-



Life holds so many facets,--The earth is only one.-

Just think of her as resting,-- From the sorrows and the tears.-


In a place of warmth and comfort,--Where there are no days and years.-


Think how she must be wishing,--That we could know today.-

How nothing but our sadness,--Can really pass away.-

And think of her as living,--In the hearts of those she touched,-

For nothing loved is ever lost,--And she was loved so much.

By: Ellen Brenneman

Hello Everyone,



Bob (Linda’s husband) just stop by here, he had just come from meeting with the minister to get Linda’s memorial set. Her Memorial is set for June 11th, at 12:00 (pot-luck afterwards) at the Jackson Prairie assembly of God Church in Chehalis. Her obituary should be in the newspaper’s (The Chronicle-Centralia, WA, and The Longview Daily News paper -Longview, WA) on Monday. You should be able to go on-line and view it, and there should be a on-line guest book for anyone wishing to sign it. I will let you know of any changes. Thanks everyone! Ronda

 

This snapdragon just began to bloom on Wednesday last week. This one came from seeds I received from Linda. This snapdragon is now named Lindas Pink Snapdragon. Thank you.


Darla this is the larkspur you sent me. They are loaded with buds and are now opening. Beautiful. Thank you.

The milkweed is also from Darla. I love that there is more and more butterfly activity.

Nemesia is blooming nicely thanks to MG Bloom Burst. (note to self - need more bloom burst)

 The marigolds are liking the bloom burst as well.


The portulaca kinda bounced around in this garden like jumping beans. I have small clusters in a number of spots in locations in which I did not plant there.


What can I do to encourage more and larger blooms on the hydrangea? One of them isn't even looking like blooming. This one is a new one this year and was blooming when I purchased it. Perhaps I need to move the other one to this shadier location.





I cut the dahlias, daisies and the zinnias. They made a nice even if small arrangement.

I toss Buddy a cherry tomato and he will play with it for a half hour. If it was on a salad he might eat it but otherwise he just plays with it. Buddy also loves when I toss him a peach or pear. He takes off running to go inside like he got a prize and isn't giving it up. Funny dog.

I hope you all have a fabulous Tuesday.

Prayers for the Joplin. This has certainly been a year of seemingly record breaking twisters. More than two times as many this year as last. Last night the reports were more than 1100 this year compared to 500 last year. The worst part is that they have hit in more populated areas. Prayers for a quick recovery and rebuilding.

Ya'll go check out the other bloggers sharing today.

Jean at Ms Green Thumb Jean for Bloomin Tuesday.

Sidewalk Shoes for Garden Tuesday.

An Oregon Cottage for Tuesday Garden Party.

23 comments:

Darla said...

Beautiful post today Becca...here's to you Linda!

Connie said...

Your flowers are looking so pretty, Becca. I think a post full of flowers is a perfect tribute to your friend that passed.

Diane said...

What a lovely dedication to a friend. Although I do not know Linda my thoughts are with you all.

Ricki Treleaven said...

Becca, this is such a lovely, lovely post. Your dedication to Linda is so touching. Your flowers are simply beautiful.

Blessings!
Ricki Jill

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos. Yes a very lovely tribute to your friend.
Lynne

Wearinbeads said...

I'm trying to establish a butterfly habitat. Could you send me some milkweed seeds this fall? Your flowers are so lovely.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful tribute to your friend, Becca. YES---she is playing now in the most beautiful garden of them all--the one in heaven. God be with her family and friends. Life is precious --and none of us know what tomorrow will bring.

Your flowers are gorgeous... Maybe the hydrangeas don't like extreme heat... Haven't you been having it lately?

Yes--prayers also for all of the people in Joplin --and everywhere who have lost so much..
Hugs,
Betsy

Lona said...

A wonderful post Becca. I did go to the Funeral Home link and leave a my condolences to the family. Thanks for posting the link.
Your flowers are looking so beautiful and the new bed is really growing girl. Your bouquet is just so pretty.
Have a wonderful week!

Boho Farm and Home said...

Beautiful post today Becca!
xo
Caroline

Lynn said...

Beautiful post Becca, so sorry to hear about your friend. Love that the snapdragon is blooming now-enjoy:@)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It is pretty special that her snapdragon is blooming now and it's such a pretty one. Thank you for the latest information too. There is definitely a hole in the blogging community now.
Your flowers are so pretty and cheerful. Your garden is so ahead of mine, I just put tomatoes in the ground this past weekend.
Take care :)

Rosemary said...

Lovely colours throughout your garden...... and oh I envy your tomatoes.. mine just went in.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Beautiful tribute and flowers both...

Jean said...

Becca, This is a beautiful tribute to your friend. Lovin' all the colors of your garden. Jean

Racquel said...

What a lovely tribute to a wonderful garden blogging friend. It's nice that you have so many pretty plants from other bloggers. :)

Dirt Princess said...

We have had terrible issues with mites on the hydrangeas here this year. It will affect the bloom size. If you look at your leaves, if they appear to have a cabbagy look, you porbably have mites. You can pull back the leaves and you will see webs. Spray off your leaves really well with the hose to wash them off

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Sweet words, to say goodbye. Take care, your own flowers are beautiful.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Becca,

What a beautiful tribute to Raingardener along with the lovely flowers to go with your words and the poem.

Eileen

pam said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you for linking to Garden Tuesday and sharing your beautiful garden.

Joani said...

Enjoyed the pictures. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I'm pretty sure I'd heard of Linda's blog, but don't remember if we were acquaintances or not. I wonder if her blog is still up. What sad news, but you are right, she is not having to drag a garden hose where she is now. I almost spit out my coffee, laughing when I read that. I'm glad you have those snapdragons from her.

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Sorry about your friend! Your lovely pictures had me drooling- we're still waiting for blooms here...

-Jami
An Oregon Cottage

Sandy said...

Hello!

Just discovered your blog and love your Dahlias! I went over to visit Gardening by Trial and Error (that's me) and loved the blog! When I came back and read your postings I discovered that she passed away. I'm sure she will be greatly missed.

I'll be back to visit you. You're so blessed to be in zone 8b. I live in Michigan so we don't get much gardening time!

~Sandy

Powered By Blogger