Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Gardening and Other Stuff

I had a good and productive weekend. How do you like my new bench compliments of my cousin who has recently moved in with me. Buddy makes a good supervisor even though he is looking the other way. He's watching.An antique wash basin stand compliments of the previous tenants.

My peaches are turning and falling to the ground before they mature. I had this problem last year and thought OK the trees need some fertilize and pruning. Done. The tree and the fruit look better than last year even though the fruit is not maturing. They are not ripe to eat. Anybody with any ideas - please speak up.


The appearance of my Johnsons Blue Geranium. Can't wait to see this baby bloom.



First appearance of cannas.

Seeds dropped by the Troy and Karma (cousins grandkids) a week ago. These seeds came from National Home Garden Club and is a mixture.

Everyone needs a garden frog. And he is doing a marvelous job in this bed.

Looks like velvet - royal purple. You can almost see these babies growing.

Ranucula planted in March. It doesn't seem to be growing like I think it should. No buds yet. Is this a finicky plant?

These petunias are putting on a very colorful show. They seem to be giving it all everyday. You can watch them grow.



I will be eating squash - I'm guessing 3-4 wks. They are not blooming yet - but once they start it'll be no time to mature. The other plants in the garden are doing remarkably well. Everything in the yard is requiring the garden hose over the past 7-9 days and there is no prediction of rain anytime soon either.

Pop said that I need to break up the dirt around the plants and pull it back in around the stems. I'm planning to get this done this coming weekend. And you can see that I have grass coming up between the rows. This is the first time for a garden in this spot so grass is to be expected. I need to pull as much as my poor body can handle this weekend.

The blueberry bush is loaded. These should mature in the next 3 weeks or so. I can almost taste the blueberry cobbler. Oh and I'll remove all of the calories and fat before eating.

My sweet little Buddy. He takes such a good picture.

We had a stranger show up on Saturday and Buddy struck up a friendship. This bull dog had escaped from her yard and was returned to her parents as soon as they came back home. Isn't she pretty. Buddy didn't care that she was more that twice his size - I really don't think Buddy knew.
On a final note I have been waiting for my magnolia's to bloom and yes they are blooming but only on the top areas of the tree. Same thing last year. I have no idea why only the tops of the trees bloom.


Anyway - Happy Gardening to all of my blogger friends and have a nice day.

16 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

The geranium is teensy weensy! Can't wait to see it bloom. The shade of purple on the petunias is my fave

EB said...

I love that stage when plants are tiny, and you just see the first few little shoots - so exciting! And my other favourite time here is September when the garden is all billowing with greenery and fullness... It seems earl to have petunias, but I have no idea!

Prospero said...

Buddy is doing a good job of looking after your stuff. I don't know what's up with your peaches, maybe someone else can help. My cannas are way bigger than yours (even though it's been cold here). I have a garden frog, too. Your petunias are lovely. Boy.. that was a lot of stuff! (P.S. Buddy does take a great picture). And your squash looks fantastic (haven't planted mine yet). There...I'm done.

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog and for your kind words! I just looked at your blog and Buddy is so cute! The squash looks great! I can't imagine having squash from the garden in our zone 6 climate right now so it's really cool to see it growing (we won't be picking squash for a few months from now - we still have frost most nights).

Anonymous said...

Buddy is adorable. Looks like he enjoyed your "Visitor." I love your bench - that's what I need for the entryway. Your petunias are so colorful - bet they smell great too. Can't wait til you get berries and squash - share some photos (and some cobbler please)!!!!!!!

Cathy S. said...

Fruit trees tends to get scale, look at the branches do you see any black coloring on them.
I had to have my apple tree cut down last year due to the scale. Scale is insects that lives inside the trees and is hard to get rid of. Cute Dogs!

Patsy said...

It sounds like you and your best friend had a busy day. Your garden is looking good.
Patsy

Susie said...

I love your garden frog. He is so cute! I went thru the frog period and thus have a few myself.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Susie, You have a huge garden... I'm jealous... All of those fresh veggies will taste SO good... WOW!!!!

Love your flowers too.. You are a busy gal--in the yard, just like us...

Your Buddy is just precious...

Love your new bench also.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ginger said...

You have so much going on - wow! How do you know when to harvest blueberries? I'm growing them for the first time this year and have tons of different sized and colored ones, and no clue when they will be ready!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Sounds to me like the peached didn't get pollinated. Do you have two trees?

Carol Murdock said...

Becca......having fun I see! I worked all day in the flowers and garden and I don't have "nuttin" that don't ache! But oh what fun!
Carol

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Love the bench and the wash stand ! Looks like your flowers are coming right along too.

As for the peaches, my Daddy decided to be a peach farmer when he retired...that didn't last long LOL. Since you have pruned, thinned etc. it could be due to a lack of pollination.

(())

Unknown said...

My goodness you have a lot going on there. I think peach trees, like most fruit trees have to be so many years old before they friut hangs on. We have a few more every year. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Becca's Dirt said...

The peach trees could very well have scale. I have never heard of it but the trees do have black on the trunk and branches. I just thought it was normal. They may need to be cut down. The trees are about 12 years old.

I have two trees and they are side by side. Don't know if they got pollinated. There were plenty of bees.

Blueberries are ready to eat when they turn purple/blue.

Joanne said...

It will be good to have an extra pair of hands you look as though you have your hands full with so many squash plants

Powered By Blogger