Wednesday, June 30, 2010

This and That



This is my new friend here. I've been using the bike now for a week (well since It came to my house to visit). It's hard when first starting but I am quickly working up on my time.


Ya'll the change in blogger is going to take some getting used to for this gal who is not so proficient. The photos load different. I can't get my text to align on the left. O well. Some of the changes are better but...

Above - I believe this is a purple cone flower. I planted these seedlings back around the beginning or middle of May and they haven't grown much. I am still hoping for some blooms maybe late summer.

This my Rose of Sharon and a Purple Balloon flower. Yes they are very close together. The Rose of Sharon probably isn't going to grow much this year and the other flowers here will be relocated. The balloon flower was planted at the same time as the coneflower early May.

The purple jasmine (forgot the proper name) is doing well with some new blooms. I can't get close enough to get my nose down that low to the ground so I have no idea how much smell it has. I don't smell it when I
walk by.

I absolutely have no idea what I'm doing here the crap isn't doing what I want. I can't get my curser between these photos. I am gonna scream because I'm already not having a good day. Above is morning glory and evening glory.

I am a terrible gardener. My name is Rebecca and I have neglected my babies. They need me and have been calling but I didn't respond. The flowers have been asking if I could get rid of some of the ugly weeds blocking their beauty and oh please give us some food.  OK babies I'm coming with gloves and fertilize to take care of those unsightly weeds so the flowers can smile and I can see their smile as they put on another show.


Well look here - where my cursor landed this time.

Look what I got in the mail. Good to get mail besides bills. Yea! Lona from A Hocking Hills Garden shared her seeds. Thank you Lona. Ya'll if you haven't already go check out her blog. She has the prettiest gardens.








Under the pear tree the animals are enjoying the fruit. The ground is covered in half eaten fruit. I don't think that the honey bear has been here or there probably wouldn't be any sign of a pear. Besides the last time the honey bear came up he shook all of the fruit from the tree. Smart one isn't he.





The Gulf Oil Spill. Everyday there is new news on the oil spill. Hurricane Alex is giving us a wake up call - not that we needed one but everyone here has wondered and expected exactly what is happening. The storm though it is far from us the effects are felt all the way up to our beaches as the oil is pushed up even more. Local tv crews went out yesterday and dug what looked like 10 or so inches and there were several layers of oil beneath the surface. Only the cosmetic oil is being removed. Children building sand castles are getting what feels and looks like oil sheen mixed as they dig and the hole fills with water and oil. It doesn't sound safe. Wondering what will be the long term effects on humans who let kids play there and sun bathers.
The oil is in our estuaries and will effect marine for a long time. Animals are dying every day here. The recent suicide of one of our local fisherman-actually he had a charter boat business really hit home. The crisis is so personal here. Prayers for the family who lost this loved one. A local blogger knew this family and she has posted today on her blog. Check it out here http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/.

I have been enormously busy the past 10 days and haven't been able to get around to visit as I normally do. I WILL be around to visit as I can. It will get better.

12 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Becca,
Thanks so much for posting about the oil spill and helping spread my CRY for HELP!

Blessings,
Linda

Diane said...

Just went over to Linda's site. The whole thing is so tragic, my thoughts go out to you all in that area.

Becca, I know what you mean about the photos. I have just given up trying to write down the side . It just goes on top or below now!!! I have not got the patience, especially with a slow connection as I have here in France. Diane

imac said...

Nice post Becca.
Pleased that you are thinking about joining this mad bunch of HeadBangers .lol

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Becca, I have a friend who uses her bike for laundry! I did go over and look at Linda's site. It makes it seem very close and personal when you hear someone who lives in the middle of the oil spill.

I like the look of your new format. I am thinking about doing something different, but I am concerned I will lose everything.

Eileen

Rebecca said...

There is something awful going on with pictures, etc. Some of the pictures I had on old posts have even disappeared - not to mention the ones I try to put in my posts that never appear in the first place.

In spite of your troubles, this is an interesting and thoughtful post. Don't give up. SURELY "they" will fix it!

Patsy said...

I just hope blogger does not make me change my post. I like what I have: don't want troubles just want to blog and be happy.
Patsy

Stephanie said...

Ha ha... Becca, sometimes, we just can't bend so low to smell those lovely flowers... I know! That's was how or rather why I didn't take a sniff of my cactus flower. Also, someone might be watching you do that :-D Btw, I like that purple jasmine.

Darla said...

i'm pretty sure that's cleome not coneflower..smell the leaves and see if the stems are making thorns, if it smells strange and there are thorns it's cleome....you will know when it blooms.

Kyna said...

I have a bike like that. I've gotten a lot of use out of it, I put it in front of my tv lol :) I got snookered into going to a Zumba class this morning with a friend. I've never done it before, hope I don't look like an idiot O_O

I haven't had any trouble with Blogger. When did it change?

Connie said...

Becca, I have had trouble and frustration from the changes in Blogger too. The font sizes keep changing for me among other problems.

So sad about the oil spill and the way it is affecting so many in such a tragic way. My heart goes out to them.

Your plants are looking good! Your hard work has paid off.

I hope you have a nice 4th of July!

Stella Jones said...

You are not the only one who has trouble with fitting text to pictures Becca. I have the same problem. Once I have remembered to upload the pics in reverse order, I then turn my attention to putting the words to it and it never seems to do the same thing, just like yours.
Looking forward to seeing how your flowers grow.
Blessings, Star

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Becca,
I like the look of your blog. (I have the same template, only a different color.) ;o) Did you go with the new way to post? I do my photos one at a time, and they come in the order I put them. A trick I've learned is to click the cursor under the photo I've just put up, then hit "return" a couple times to separate them so I can write between them later.

After the photo is put in the post, you can click on it, and choose the size, and I always center them, because I never could line up my words and photos when they were on one side or the other. I am able to make mine extra large if I choose, because I went into the advanced options in the design section, and was able to adjust the width of the whole blog, and made the sidebar narrower.

That bike looks comfortable for a bike. LOL

I looked to see if anyone let you know those seedlings are cleomes, and see Darla thought that's what they might be. If you have room, you could move a couple to other spots. They seem to transplant OK.

I love the color of your jasmine.

Thanks for the oil spill update, tragic as it is. I did pray for that family when the news said what had happened. I have prayed in general for the people of the area almost every day.

Well, you are not a bad gardener. I know I get busy, and have some trouble getting out there, too. I am trying to clean the clutter out of a room, and am having trouble making decisions. I am trying to make myself stay up there and get it done, and have let the gardening go some. It was nice to get out today and weed the veggie garden, though.

Well, if there was a word limit for comments, I would have exceeded it by now. LOL I better get this sent.

I hope you are able to get some relief from the hot weather.

Powered By Blogger