Monday, August 2, 2010

This and That Weekend


Darnit! I can't get this dang cursor at the top of my post. I hate blogger sometime.
Check out this new garden cart I bought. It was only $19 and it is the best investment I've gotten all summer. It will haul up to 250# and that is a lot. It is perfect for picking up sticks and just plain perfect for my needs. Came from Ace Hardware.


In spite of the heat I managed to get out and get some things done this weekend. I cut limbs from all of my huge shrubs and small trees and ya'll know how big my place is. Wow what a difference cutting limbs can make. Now I have to get my keester back out to pick them up which is the chore I hate most. If I didn't have to clean up my messes I probably would do more.

This flowerbed received a cleaning out. I have tired of the zinnias taking up all the space and branching out all over the place so I pulled them up in this bed. You can see all the space I have now. Getting ready to put out more stuff but may end up waiting till Sept. Putting new plants into the ground this time of year with the heat being what it is this year, the plants just will not do well.

The small plant to the left is a Sarah Bernhardt Peony that became shadowed by the zinnias. Since it didn't do anything this year I probably will move it. Hey gardeners out there would it be wise to move it or leave it where it is. It is not receiving much sun - maybe the middle of the day or late afternoon. This is my first peony.

The cleome did beautifully. I love the soft spidery like tentacles on the flowers.

I was surprised to find this new geranium producing a new flower. I recently planted 2 new geraniums probably 3 weeks ago. They are puny due to the heat and dry conditions.

This is one of the best performers this year. I thought the okra hibuscus had given out 3 weeks ago and low and behold they have budded out again and going for another round.

I am seeing an abundance of butterfly's. I have yet to stand outside waiting for one to light in this heat so just know they are there. Milkweed is performing beautifully. All of the milkweed are budding and flowering now.

This particular display of vincas have really outdone itself. Usually vincas are a little finicky if they get too dry and hot or too much sun but this one hasn't missed a beat. It has been flowering since the end of May when it was planted and doesn't seem affected by the heat. Others purchased since then have struggled to survive.

Portulaca starting to bloom again. I think this plant is getting too much sun.

Ya'll know how I feel about begonias now. They are super performers.
The heat - OH THE HEAT is on isn't it. Everywhere it is hot. We are experiencing temps in the 100 degree range maybe a few degrees over 100 with heat index of 115. Dangerously hot. Relief is coming at the end of the week when the highs will be back at a seasonable 92. Never thought I'd be glad to see 92.

I haven't given up on the stopping smoking. I am working myself up again and reforming my strategy.

I just want to say how much I truly appreciate all of you blogger friends and the kind words of encouragement. You all are the BEST. It is your encouragement that will help me to succeed and yes I EXPECT to be SUCCESSFUL.

Have a good day everyone.

19 comments:

Deb said...

I love your cart...don't know what I'd do without my wheel barrow...
your flowers look great...we are looking at 107 today...

Lona said...

Hi Becca. I love your new cart and what a deal! Now you can throw in as you trim and not have to go back and pick up later. I have an old wagon I pull around to throw things in or hull around plants.
Your peony will do better left alone. It takes them time to get started well. Now it is just storing up in the leaves and well be dying back.
Stay cool! It is a scorcher here too.

Diane said...

Of course you will succeed, no doubt about it. Don't think otherwise.

I love your cleome it is so pretty. I have never grown peonies before but they just happen to be in this garden so of course I have let them be. They are in at least 3/4 shade underneath quite a large tree. They seem very happy there. Keep up the good work. Diane

Unknown said...

Becca your flowers are looking great - you've been really busy and what a steal you got on that garden cart!
My Cleome never reseeded. ;-( and I really liked it.
Talk about goofy cursers - the other day I typed Ctrl Alt 6 or something like that - trying to use my memory instead of looking it up first. WoW! It turned my whole screen sideways and I couldn't get it back. I just panicked and called people who also didn't know what to do. Finally at Office Max (it was Sunday and no computer places open) we tried something that worked. Talk about scaring the bejeebers out of me. And my cursor was all over the place and wouldn't land where ya wanted it to. Whew!
Anyway your place is looking good!

Becky said...

nice cart! I may have to check out my Ace hardware. Your flowers look great. I live my gardening life though your blog.Ii kill EVERY plant I touch.lol

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Becca, my begonias have been stars this year for me also and like you said the heat slows down the geraniums. I don't know how you are working out there in that heat. Take care,

Eileen

Sunny said...

I mentioned to my husband that a friend was going to bring me some milkweed this fall and he said that I didn't want it because it would take over. Is it really invasive?

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Love the cart. Gardening is a great release from smoking! Keep going, Becca! My positive energy is coming your way!

Jeff Branch said...

You got a deal on that cart. Very nice photos. I feel your pain when it comes to the heat. Up in the Bham area, we were supposed to hit 100 today as well. A brief shower passed through that helped the heat. My plants are starting to burn up.

Patsy said...

The portulaca loves the hot sun and don't move the peony it takes one or two years to bloom.
Your flowers look good.
Patsy

Lemon Lane Studio said...

I have to laugh...I tend to leave a trail of debris behind me as I garden. Save me some Zinnia seeds, I will email you my address tonight. Drink plenty of water while your out in the heat. Patty

Connie said...

Even with the heat, your flowers are looking great, Becca. Your hard work really has paid off. Hope you have a good week!

Far Side of Fifty said...

If you move the Peony wait until fall and cooler temps. Patsy is correct it may take several years for it to bloom..especially if it was a small root. I am not sure how successful peonies are that far south..
Do other people in your neighborhood have them?
You will succeed Becca..I have faith in you! :)

Darla said...

Your plants are looking good despite the dreadful heat we are experiencing. You will succeed, I just know it!!

Rosemary said...

Hot here too! not as hot as your area tho. Love the cart and your plants are all looking very happy.

Jean said...

I think the heat is everywhere this year! We're supposed to get a couple days of relief this weekend too. The okra hibuscus is beautiful! I'm glad you are not discouraged! I'm sure you can do it! Missing you on Tuesdays. Jean

Paula said...

Oh, Becca- I lOVE the new garden cart! That looks like a very handy little fellow to have around.
Your garden is so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.
Hope you're having a wonderful week!
Paula

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Darlin even the flowers in pots on the porch are wilting ! I keep them watered but man this high 90's and 100* heat is just too much. for all that your flowers look great !

(())

Stacie Shepp said...

Becca, I wanted to invite you to join our new social network for gardeners, YourGardenShow.com

You can share your garden there and talk to other gardeners about your gardening challenges such as the one you pose here.

We hope that you can help each other!

Stacie

Powered By Blogger