Thursday, October 21, 2010

Blooms and Bees

This hole started as a small hole in the ground and has grown to this size. It has been slowly getting bigger over the past 3-4 months. I had noticed bugs flying in and out all the time it seemed but really thought that it was something harmless since I haven't been bothered by any flying bugs. Finally I got my camera and got a closer look at what is going on since the hole has grown so big. There are bees and they have built 'condominiums' in the ground. I assume it is honeybees. Have you ever seen bees build in the ground? I am going to contact the Agriculture Dept for them to tell me what to do about them. I don't want to kill them - they are such a vital part our food chain.

NOTE: I called the Alabama Cooperative Extension and they said there is no way this could be bees. They think yellow jackets. I will have to kill one to see what this is. I still say it is bees.



Cleome still blooming.

The rest of the photos are a little blur. Sorry.

Mums blooming their heart out. The bees don't have to worry about not having enough nectar in my yard.




 I have volunteer zinnias coming up all over the gardens. In the spring I'll have to thin them out but for now not much else is blooming in this little garden.


Hope you all have a blessed day.

14 comments:

Lona said...

Hi Becca. yellow Jackets up here build in the ground and they are really mean.When their nest is stepped on or bothered they will swarm you and sting like crazy. We usually wait until dark and then take a soda bottle with gas in it and stick it in the hole after they are all in the nest at dark. Spraying will not get down into the nest.
Zinnas are real troopers aren't they. They keep on going here too. Your mums are so pretty.
I really love your header picture Becca.Your mantle is decorated up so pretty for Fall.
Have a great week!

Diane said...

I have never heard of yellow jackets but they do no sound very nice!

Your flowers are still looking beautiful. I am so jealous as I now look out onto a paved 'garden'!
Diane

Unknown said...

I live in Minnesota and used to mow a large suburban lawn. Once or twice I came across a wasp/hornet nest in the grass and made sure to stay well away from it. I didn't try to get rid of it, just avoided it.

Connie said...

Becca, I've seen something similar to your bee or yellow jacket nest in the grass here. I don't know which it is either, but I just tried to stay away from it.

Your flowers are still looking great. So pretty! I hope you have a nice weekend! :)

Darla said...

It is yellow jackets I am almost sure. My husband runs into them all the time..once 8 stings! Be careful, they are the killer bees of all bees!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yellow Jackets!! I call them Wasps..and their stings hurt so bad. beware..they will sting Buddy too. you could always drown them out..I do like Hocking Hills Gardners Idea..but perhaps some Dawn Dish soap mixed with water and then follow it with lots of water will work. be careful:)

Jean said...

We have bees we actually call ground bees that nest in the ground. Not at all fun to run over with a lawn mower! You still have a lot of color ful bloomin' going on. Pretty! Jean

Ginger said...

I'm voting yellow jackets, too - sorry!!
Your flowers are still so pretty! Mine are almost all dead.

Stephanie said...

You cleome is so wonderful!
Btw, that's a big hole for small creatures... yes I think you were right... they built condos... :-D

Jeannie B. said...

Whooo, hope they are not yellow jackets!! Your flowers continue to inspire me!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hi Becca,

I LOVE gardening! How lovely that you have a blog devoted to your garden!

I can't believe how much colour you still have in your garden over there.

In England, almost everything has gone over now, apart from some sedums and dahlias.

I have to make the most of colour from red berries and beautiful autumnal leaves.

Gorgeous but not quite the same as your pretty flowers!

Thank you so much for your visit from the Welcome Wagon. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

Sarahx

Tamara Jansen said...

Can you believe that even here in Vancouver Canada, my hanging baskets and container gardens are still in bloom?!

Not much longer though. Goodbye summer and hello Jack Frost!

sweetbay said...

Those surely yellow jackets. Be careful ... they are especially aggressive in the fall.

sweetbay said...

PS There are ground nesting bees -- species of bumble bees -- that do nest in the ground. But if they look more like honeybees they are Yellow Jackets.

Powered By Blogger