Monday, January 23, 2012

This N That

It is hard to believe we are in the last week of January and we are so warm and not expecting any cool weather any time soon. I managed to get out and enjoy some of the weekend outdoors. This is where I spent a little time while I was monitoring a project Saturday. I don't think I've shared pictures of my shed out back. Actually it's pretty big. There have been a few interesting things to come out of here. It is a great big ole mess right now and it is taking some time to get it cleaned out. It is snakey and I'm not going in here by myself because I am a scardy cat.

This little pooch is Molly, my friends rat terrier I gave him.

(On this side of the shed I plan to put some camellia's and something else undecided.)


It's just a dirty old shop. Big enough to hold six cars comfortably.

This is John's idea. He is a metalsmith and designed the stepping stone frame to make stones. The flower is his idea and he created the flower frame also. This is a sample he had set up for me to see.


Actually they turned out too thick and the cement wasn't quite right. May have bought the wrong kind. This mixture had a lot of rocks in it. They are about 2 to2-1/2" thick. Way too thick to walk on. I'm thinking garden art here. 


Buddy enjoyed being outside even if he had to be on his chain. He likes to visit neighbors and wants to cross the main road near me so this is what he gets.

I spent my time with my gloves and a shovel. It was time to work on the garden I planned on putting down. First I had to dig out the grass. I do this because I HATE to contend with grass in my gardens. I can pull weeds but grass is hard to keep out when it gets around the flowers. Plus I also back fill with new Miracle Gro Garden Soil.
(The area on this side of the shed is where I plan to put some roses and some flowering vines.)

I got this much done. I'm going to make it bigger but this is the beginning. The digging and loading the sod is easy enough but hauling my load down the hill to drop in some low spots kills me. I'll get there though and it will be a pretty spot.

Anyone know what this is and if I can expect a flower. I have a couple of them and don't if it was in some seeds I spread in the fall.

Daffodils will be in bloom soon. Actually I think it is early as is everything else this year.






What to do with these containers? Plants? Help. I need ideas. They do not have a bottom so they can easily be used them in the garden. 

Anybody throwing out seeds yet in their gardens? I'm thinking about doing just that with this warm weather. I'm thinking it will be an early spring and long hot summer.
Gotta run.  Have a great week.


15 comments:

Lona said...

Boy are you on a roll Becca. Getting garden beds all ready. That may be a foxglove Becca. Did you plant foxglove seeds? I cannot tell how big the leaves might be. If they are small it could be a primrose.

Diane said...

I have no idea what you can do with those containers, I will give it some thought. That shed is a fantastic place to store things, but yes, although I don't mind snakes I would prefer it to be snake free! Love the idea of flowery pavers or garden art. Diane

imac said...

Great design and love the 2 buckets, but best of all love your flower shots.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

The garden art is great. You are really getting started on the new growing season. I'd plant those containers with something that vines and trails over the sides. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with them.

Stella Jones said...

You're being very ambitious with your new garden project. I can't wait to see how you get along with it as time progresses.
Watch your back with the hauling!

Lesa said...

How about something tall and spectacular in the middle with some trailing plants around the edges of those containers? I was just imagining, too, your open garden space...it's going to be gorgeous! Those stepping stone art pieces will be so much fun in the garden. I love garden art, especially handmade pieces. Congratulations!

Connie said...

I'd be afraid of snakes too! Sounds like you have some great plans in the works. I like the idea for the flower stepping stones. Your blooms are so pretty. Hard to believe you have so many in January!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Hope you are safe from all of the storms, Becca. Thinking of you. Love the stepping stones. xxoo Nancy

Far Side of Fifty said...

Foxglove..sometimes they take two years to bloom..but these look big enough to bloom this year! You will love them! Your garden art will be very pretty. SSSSnakes..I am not so fond of them either..:(

Lea's Menagerie said...

Hello,
I always enjoy a visit to your blog. I have a few tiny buds on my hyacinths, but yours are in full bloom! Wonderful, beautiful blooms!
Today was mild enough that I went out to the garden just to dig around in the dirt awhile! But I don't dare plant anything until March.
Lea

HolleyGarden said...

Love those concrete flowers! I'm sure you'll think of something fun to do with them. You have been working hard! I hate digging out grass, but it is the best way. I love those containers, too. Not sure what to do with them. That will take some thinking, but I'm certain you'll find just the right thing.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That shed reminded me of George's Daddy's shed in his back yard. You couldn't give me enough money to walk inside that shed EVER.... ha ha...

When the family sells the house, they need to burn that shed...

You really are having spring down there. Can't believe that your Daffodils are almost ready to bloom.

We have had a mild winter --but it's not nearly as warm as your weather...

Can't wait to see what you plant.
Hugs,
Betsy

arrielle_p said...

One of my dream in my house for the future is to have a garden in front of it. And yours is awesome to have a garden like that. :)

Philippine properties

Ricki Treleaven said...

Can you get over this weather, Becca? I want to work in our garden soon. I think some of my shrubs are confused!!! I look forward to seeing your garden's progress in the upcoming months.

xoxoxoxo,
Ricki Jill

Jen (emsun.org) said...

Those stepping stones (despite not ultimately being used that way) are gorgeous! Why couldn't you just bury them into the ground?

Powered By Blogger